For those of you who might suffer from short term memory degradation, here is a reminder for you. This image first appeared in a post a few days back, but unfortunately, none of us could fully understand the dialect of Naples.
Thanks to a bloke who lives down in the big capital city of the fair state in which I live, and thanks to him having a friend who could do the job, we now have a translation.
(I think I’ll just hand my post over to the bloke and Maxine!)
The new commandments of a true Napoletano
1. The football team of your heart is Napoli
2. On Sunday you must eat Pasta with meat sauce
3. Every day you must say something in Neapolitan Dialect
4. At Christmas time you must eat Struffoli, and at Easter the Pastiera* and the Casatiello**
5. You get angry at Naples, but if you leave it you long for it.
6. You spend all your money,
7. You’d stay in bed all your life.
8. You’ll do everything tomorrow.
9. You don’t do anything, but if you must, let someone else do it.
10. You are born tired and you want to rest during the day and sleep at night.
[There you go Yvonne. From one of my Australian Italian friends who was born in Tunisia.]
- * If you’re wondering what pastiera is: pastiera
- ** If you’re wondering what casatiello is: casatiello